State Agencies / Higher Education

Changes to Public Bidding Threshold
Beginning on January 13, 2017, the public bidding threshold is adjusted to $215,000.

Government agency BuildingFor state agencies and state-supported colleges and universities, the funding for capital improvement projects comes from a direct appropriation from the General Assembly. For those clients, the Commission offers a variety of direct services, including: 

Capital Planning

The Commission assists state agencies and state-supported colleges and universities in the development of facility master plans and capital projects for funding requests. Our staff provides design and program guidance, documentation of project needs and impacts, and cost evaluation, enabling agencies and institutions to develop more accurate scopes of work for their projects.

State Agency Small Capital Projects

Small capital projects under $1.5 million are often not as complicated as larger projects, but do require oversight and close management to be fully successful. How small projects are administered depends upon several key factors, and the Commission can help you make that determination.

Project Administration

State agencies have authority to locally administer capital improvement projects up to $1.5M in value. Universities have local administration authority for projects up to $4M in value, while certified institutions of higher education can locally administer any capital projects on their campuses.  Project scope and cost affect project administration according to this local administration chart. Both agencies and universities may request the Commission's project administration assistance on any project. The Commission provides full project administration services for all other capital projects that are not locally administered by an agency or university. These services include procurement of professional services and public bidding, along with oversight of design and construction through closeout of projects.

OFCC issues both contract numbers and release & permit numbers within OAKS FIN for use in creating requisitions associated with state agency and higher education capital construction projects.  Please utilize this form to request the creation of OAKS FIN contract numbers for locally administered capital projects and OAKS FIN release & permit numbers associated with capital project design work.   Completed forms may be submitted to  

State agencies and higher education institutions should continue to work with their assigned OFCC Project Coordinator for OAKS FIN contract number requests associated with OFCC administered projects. 

Should you have any questions, please contact Sara Zimmerman at 614-728-8298 or Julie Barnosky at 614-644-1534.

Energy Savings Performance Contracting (HB 7)

An Energy Savings Performance Contract enables state agencies and higher education facilities to save on utility costs by implementing energy conservation measures that pay for themselves within 15 years. The Commission administers Energy Savings Performance Contracts for state agencies and higher education facilities. Under House Bill 7, enacted in 1994, state government agencies and universities may enter into performance contracts for energy projects. For state agencies, authority is vested in the Commission. For universities, the authority is vested to their Boards of Trustees.

Criteria Design Services

Each design-build project requires design criteria that outline the project requirements to the selected design-build team. The Commission has both licensed architects and engineers on staff. Depending on specific project needs, this in-house staff of professionals may serve as Criteria Architect/Engineer on design-build projects for owners.